Friday, June 21, 2013

Faithful Fridays ~ How Do We Do Humility?

Hi, everyone!  :)  I'm sorry I haven't been around the blogging world lately....my computer broke down and it turns out the hard drive is just....fried.  :(  Luke accidentally spilled water on it the other day, and we didn't realize how bad it was.  I lost all my documents and pictures (including all my stories....*cringe*), but they said that the computer itself can be saved if I get a new a hard drive.  So anyway, my computer's been out for the past few days.  Hopefully I'll get it back soon...I'm thankful that it's not completely gone!  :)



Faithful Fridays is a weekly linky party hosted on my blog.  I made it so that Christians could have one special day out of the week (Friday) to share something from their Christian walk on their blog.  If you'd like to participate, write your post, grab the button from the Faithful Fridays page on my blog (so that it will link back here), and come link up at the bottom of this post!  :)

**********************************************************************

So, what is humility and how do we do it?

Maybe you've pretty much mastered it, maybe you've spent time doing a special Bible study on it, but it's something that I guess I've either never really struggled with or never really thought about.

I mean, I know that we're not supposed to be proud or arrogant, and I do my best not to be (I despise arrogance, it's one of the most annoying things ever to me).  But I guess the whole concept of humility and exactly how we're supposed to do it hasn't ever completely sunk in.

I think sometimes when we think of humility, we think of someone on their knees with their nose to the ground, letting other people walk all over them.  And that's not what it is.  Yes, humility has to do with turning the other cheek.  It has to do with putting others above yourself (which weaves itself in with love and compassion and selflessness).

"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."
-Proverbs 15:33

"Before a downfall the heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor."
-Proverbs 18:12

Humility is honorable.  

Humility isn't about putting ourselves down and acting like we're nothing.  God loves us and values us and we shouldn't forget that.  

Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
-C.S. Lewis

Humility is about putting others before yourself.  It's about being selfless.  It's about not being self-centered or selfish.  It's not about treating yourself like dirt or having low self-esteem.  

Humility is honorable.  It builds people up (including yourself, but not in a conceited way).  

You can still be confident enough in yourself--or rather, who you are in the Lord--and be humble and selfless.  I think it's important to remember that before Jesus saved us, we were nothing.  And without Him, we still would be.  But we're not.  And we can know that in Him we have value and we can be confident that we are loved and we are somebody, because we are God's children.  And since God reached down and saved us, shouldn't we extend some of his love to other people and stop being so self-centered?

*********************************************************************************
God bless you guys and have a great day!
Joy :)

1 comments:

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Joy,

I especially love C.S.Lewis' quote about humility. So true! We live in a self-centered world...humility is a hard thing to conquer!

Thank you for your wise thoughts here! :)

Love you! 10!
MOM

Blog Designed by The Single Momoirs