Saturday, January 12, 2013

2013 is Here!

2013 is finally already here!  I really can't decide if it's a "finally" or an "already."  This year flew by so quickly, but...I must have been looking forward to 2013 because it took me no time to get used to writing "13" instead of "12"!  :)

Most people come up with a list of resolutions or goals for the new year...I kind of do that, but I try to stay away from the normal "Lose weight" and "Read my Bible more" type resolutions.  These are my resolutions from last year.  Let's take a walk down memory lane and look at what my goals were at the start of 2012.

This is what I wrote at the beginning of 2012:

And in 2012 I want to:
  • Witness more.
  • Go on a mission trip to China.
  • Read my Bible and/or read a devotional every day.
  • Write in my journal every day or every other day, even if it's only a few lines
  • Continue volunteering at our local nursing home.
  • Pray more.
  • Keep working on my book.
  • Finish the Green Gables series.
  • Be nicer to people that I don't particularly "like".
  • Be nicer to people period (Take up Operation NiCE--click HERE).
  • Continue to blog 2-4 times a week.
  • Spend more time with my family, especially Luke.
  • Keep my advocacy website up and running.

Let's see....how many of these did I accomplish?  Maybe about four or five.  That's kind of discouraging, but it happens.

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
-Proverbs 19:21

We can have all these plans and goals and resolutions, but only the Lord knows what will really happen this year.  If we try to accomplish all our goals and do all these things on our own, using our own strength, without God's help....we're going to fail!  We're made to depend on Jesus.  It's our nature, and it is there to bring us closer to Him.  

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't or we can't write down our dreams and plans and hopes for this year.  Just make sure these plans don't take over your life and push God out.
So, I am going to write down things I have done and I am going to write down things I want to do this year....but I'm also going to trust that Jesus has this year under control.  :)

So, I asked my mama what I did in 2012 that was significant.

"Fangirled," she said.

XD  She has a point there, though.  I discovered many new musicians and such that I really like this year.  :)

So, in 2012, I....
  • Celebrated my little brother's 2nd Family Day Anniversary!
  • Started using my Jesus Calling (for Kids) devotional
  • Started reading through the Bible out loud with my family
  • Turned 13
  • Got two new little cousins
  • Discovered Michael Henry and Justin Robinett, thanks to my older brother
Two of the most talented musicians, ever.  :)
  • Moved up into 8th grade
  • Started taking Chinese language and dance 
  • Met new online friends: Emma, Brooke, and Ruthie
  • Went into the hospital three times, unfortunately, but met some great friends in the process
  • Saw Courageous
  • Saw The Avengers
  • Saw Captain America
  • Saw Thor
  • You get the point.  :)
Best movies of 2012, in my opinion.  :)
  • Began babysitting
  • Opened an Instagram account
  • Discovered Blimey Cow  :D
  • Learned how to do a back handspring 
  • Learned how to dance en pointe
  • Finished several journals

And in 2013, I hope to....

  • Read my Bible and/or devotional every day
  • Memorize more Scripture and KEEP it in my head
  • Be a better sister
  • Be a better daughter
  • Be more responsible 
  • Be more patient
  • Keep raising money for a trip back to China
  • Keep advocating
  • Learn Chinese more fluently
  • Finish reading through the Bible with my family
  • Learn how to do the splits
  • Keep practicing pointe
  • Keep writing and working on stories
  • Continue journaling often
  • Keep practicing photography
Apart from this list of particular things I would like to do this year, this is my basic, real hope for tis year.  This is what I really, really want (as I wrote on New Year's Eve).

  I don't have any big goals, but there are definitely some things I want to maintain or do.  I want to stay close to God, and be closer to Him.  I want to try to be more balanced in life.  I want to be more patient and responsible and less selfish.  I want to earn more money for a mission trip to China.  I want to be a good Christian, daughter, and sister.  Happy New Year!

What did you think about this past year?  What are your thoughts on this coming year?

God bless 2013!



God bless you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Joy :)

6 comments:

Emma said...

Is your little brother from China? I have a little sister from China!

Go Bold said...

have you ever heard of scripture typer? I use it to memorize scripture. Its fun and effective!

I hope you get all your goals done!

--Rachel S

Ruthie said...

Awww, thank you for the shout-out! SO sweet! And maybe one day we can go to China together! :) i think yes! hehe

Anonymous said...

Hello Joy, I am a friend of your mom's. My name is Mildred. I enjoyed reading your goals for the new year and all the wonderful things you accomplished last year. I know you are a blessing to your family and friends. May God richly bless you in 2013.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Joy,

And there's nothing wrong with a little "fangirling". :) I like your priorities and goals for 2013! I have no doubt that you will accomplish them!

I love you! 10!
MOM

Anonymous said...

Have you finished reading Green Gables?????? Btw BEST BOOKS EVER!!!!!!!!!

Blog Designed by The Single Momoirs