Friday, December 7, 2012

Faithful Fridays ~ Balance.

Hey, everyone!  :)  It's time for Faithful Friday!  Today's post may not be quite as well-collected as some others...it's a topic I've been wanting to write about for a while, but haven't quite been sure how to go about it.  I guess it's time to just dive in!  :)


Faithful Fridays is a weekly "meme" hosted on my blog.  I made it so that Christians could have one day out of the week (Friday) to share something from their Christian walk on their blog.  If you'd like to participate, write your post, grab the button from the Faithful Fridays page on my blog (so that it will link back here), and come link up at the bottom of this post!  :)

****************************************************************

It's said that there are two sides to every story.

Isn't that the truth?  You have to have balance.  It's definitely something I struggle with.

There's nothing wrong with the TV in itself, and, in fact, it can be used for good, but if you use it too much or let it control you and rule your life, it becomes a sin.

There's nothing wrong with the computer (and here's where I have trouble--boy, do I love that computer), and it can be quite useful and helpful, but if you spend too much time on it or use it to go to sinful websites, you're letting it control you, and it is therefore a sin.

I tend to be a bit of a (for lack of a better word) fangirl.  That can be a good thing.  It's nice to have minor things you love and can get excited about.  But if you let those things that you are a fan of (for me it would be things like superheroes, actors, and musicians) control you and take over your mind, crowding everything else out (including Jesus), then those things are sinful.

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
-Matthew 6:33

Are you seeing a pattern here?  Balance is so hard to achieve.  It seems especially so for me.  I just can't ever seem to do it.  I remember reading a book about Christianity and one line just sort of took me by surprise--"Jesus is the only one who can achieve perfect balance."  Well.  That's....encouraging.  Here I am/was, trying to be all balanced and maybe even perfect, and I learn that it's pretty much not possible for me.  *sigh*

BUT.  We can try our very, very best and ask God to help us.  In fact, that should be our very first priority: come to Him in prayer about it.  Constantly.  This is where guarding our hearts, minds, ears, eyes, hands, and our whole bodies and souls comes in to place.  I just love this verse in the Bible:

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, thing about these things.
-Philippians 4:8

Another point of balance that's difficult to deal with is music.  Oohh, music.  Many a day I've worried and worried and gotten so anxious over if I was listening to too much non-Christian music.  And if I felt like I was, I went into pieces and thought I had committed one of the worst sins ever and there was no chance for me, etc., etc.  ;)  I try to equalize my time between listening to my favorite Christian artists and songs and the non-Christian (but still appropriate) songs and artists I like.  I know views really differ on this subject and that some people don't believe it's right to listen to any non-Christian/secular music, but I think that's where God calls different people to different things, and he knows what some people can handle and others can't.  Even I feel a bit down and even convicted if I listen to too much non-Christian music, even if it is appropriate (and it always is).  But in our family, we listen to both kinds, and we set our limits.  


So, the conclusion to this post is that we do need balance in our lives, but we have to remember that we are humans and that only Jesus can achieve perfect balance.

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"
-Romans 3:23

We need to ask God to help us to keep balance in our lives and guard our hearts and minds.  He will help us if we ask!

God bless you and have a great day!  :)
Joy :)


2 comments:

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Joy,

The fact that you are guarding against this very thing....balance...says alot. I loved this post. And I may be your mom and an adult, but I struggle with the very same thing. The key does lie in whatever takes over our thinking. But the good news is, like you said, we aren't expected to be perfect. Only Jesus can achieve that perfect balance. But thank the Lord we have Jesus to guide us and gently remind us when we need that nudge!

I'm proud of you and I loved this post! So much better than mine!

Love you!
MOM

retha said...

I agree with you mother, in that I am not successful in my own eyes too and JESUS is who is calling.
A thought, we do not need to accuse ourselves of anything "the accuser of the brethren" is doing it to us enough! You spoke of Phil.4:8, thinking of what we think we should do often falls in the category what we should not think of- yes even good thoughts. In Christ we have been made perfect, because we do not live but HE is. We have yard sticks to measure ourselves those are often not what GOD is saying, but good thoughts that makes us want to perform as if we are Godly. Often those thoughts comes from what others think a person should or should not do. Each of us has to only do what we should do. The HOLY SPIRIT shows what is the very thing for us specifically to do.
Pardon me speaking so long,want to add this too. Although only GOD can judge a person's heart, I want to say of what I have seen of your mother, your parents are people who look to CHRIST and that is a most wonderful guide you have.

Blog Designed by The Single Momoirs