Friday, June 15, 2012

Faithful Fridays ~ If I Don't Have Love

Hi everyone!  Whew...the past few weeks have been crazy...there's been a lot of traveling, unwinding of school schedules, and summer activities all planned in a row.  I promise I haven't forgotten my blog!    I guess I'm just low on inspiration for posts.  :)

Anyway, on with today's post.


I started Faithful Fridays so that Christians could have one designated day (although, of course, we shouldn't have to keep it to one day) a week to share something from their Faith--a prayer request, answered prayer, Bible verse, song, poem, or just something God's laid on your heart. Just grab the button above (which unfortunately doesn't link to my blog automatically, you'll have to put the link), make your post, then leave a comment letting me know you participated!  Once I see you've been participating, I will add your name to the participant list below every week.

My mama participates on her blog, Country Girl at Home...

Ms. Patty participates on her blog, Blessings Beyond...

Ms. Retha participates on her blog, Retha's Rambles...

Rachel participates on her blog, Stand Out Don't Fit In...

and Rebekah participates on her blog, Country God Girl.

                                              ~*~


It's often been said that when words fail, music speaks.  And that's the truth.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE words, and writing, and reading...but sometimes, music speaks to me a little stronger.


We listen to our local K-Love station a lot (We LOVE K-Love!  Check out their website HERE and find your local station!).  It's a station chock full of wonderful Christian music...it gives you that boost of energy and encouragement that you need...on the go!  There's been this song on the K-Love lately called The Proof of Your Love by For King & Country.  I like it more every time I hear it!  The lyrics are powerful and inspiring, and I love the music.  It's one of those songs that got inside my head, and I can't stop singing it!  

If I sing but don't have love
I waste my breathe with every song
I bring, an empty voice
A hollow noise

If I speak with a silver tongue
Convince a crowd but don't have love
I leave a bitter taste
With every word I say

So let my life be the proof
The proof of Your love
Let my love look like You
And what You're made of
How you lived, how You died
Love is sacrifice
So let my life be the proof
The proof of Your love

If I give to a needy soul
But don't have love then who is poor
It seems all the poverty
Is found in me



....


Only love remains
Only love remains

If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love. (1 Corinthians 13:1-7, The Message)



So let my life be the proof
The proof of Your love
Let my love look like You
And what You're made of
How you lived, how You died
Love is sacrifice
So let my life be the proof
The proof of Your love



These lyrics bring to mind a quote I saw the other day from Francis Chan.  It was a sort of reality check for me, and I wanted to share it because I thought it was powerful.  







I think sometimes we (as girls) get wrapped up in things that are important in this world--that new way of doing your nails, the cutest hairstyle at the moment, the fashionable clothes--and forget to focus on what really matters--loving God and loving the people He has made.  There are SO many distractions in this world...and appearance-related things may not be a distraction for you!  I know I'm guilty of spending lots of time trying to figure out a hairstyle, and then not wanting to spend fifteen minutes reading my Bible.  But maybe we're focusing too much on writing?  Or photography?  That newest camera lense?  Or that book or CD you've been wanting for a while?  Or perfecting your blog design?


“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

-Matthew 22:36-40


We have to keep our eyes on the prize and on our purpose.  


Having a bad day?
Put your hand on your heart.
Feel that?
That's purpose.
You're here for a reason.
Love God and love the people He has made.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


-Philippians 3:14


God bless you and have a great day!

2 comments:

Go Bold said...

its nice to have you back joy! and I liked your post i was a good one. I like that poem, feel your heart, thats the reason your here


--Rachel S

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Joy,

How did you get to be so wise?

This is a wonderful beautiful post! I like your choice of words, when words fail, music speaks. That's so true and it's the same for me. So often (as you know) music moves me to tears and God uses it to speak to me. And that song is a great one! I like the way he talks in it too.

Your Faithful Fridays are always so much better than mine!

I did participate in Faithful Friday today!

I love you! 10!

MOM

Blog Designed by The Single Momoirs